FUKEPAIKE: Some reflections after a hospital visit

Thursday, April 03, 2008

Some reflections after a hospital visit

Went to NUH few days ago to visit a relative of mine. She is my 4th auntie and she is from Thailand. Took this chance to put my Thai speaking skills to the test. I tried to converse with her in Thai at every opportunity. Glad that she understood what I said.

But this is not the main point I am trying to tell.

As I walked through the ward, I saw so many patients. Some in really bad conditions, some looked like they were in pain and most of them are quite old already. I felt so sympathetic. I even feared that I may end up like them when I grow old, with all the illness catching me.

After staying in Singapore for over 20 years, my auntie learnt how to speak Mandarin quite well. We talked mainly in Mandarin. She was telling me how a few days ago, the nurses tried to extract blood plasma from her through her arm. Somehow blood kept spurting out from the nozzle. The scene must be quite dramatic and horrifying, seeing your blood spurt out with every slight movement of your arm. Heard that her bed was stained full of blood... I didn't know why the doctors and nurses couldn't stop the spurting.

She told me she wanted to give up. She actually had a relapse of cancer. She fully recovered half a year ago only to have a relapse 2 months ago. She asked the doctors to stop curing her. The financial burden and emotional distress for her family is too much. She was in great pain too. The doctors told her not to give up, everyone around her told her not to. Even my cute cousin who goes to visit her everyday asks her to fight on, so that the whole family can go back to Thailand for holidays in December.

I nearly cried. But she is strong. I told her to be strong, never to give up because her family needs her so much. I know my uncle is struggling between work and household chores. My 2 cousins grew up so much, they are so much more sensible, helping out their father in whatever way they can.

Then she told me about the previous patient at opposite bed - passed away just few days ago. and another patient in the other room just passed away too.

I don't know why do I feel so much... Life - such a strong entity, yet so vulnerable. But in the end, life always succumbs to death. This is the way things work out, I should not be too sad about it.

Oh, the nurses are quite cute... haha... as in, they are really friendly and always put a smile on their faces. And they wash their hand every 5 mins on average. They touch the patient or the patient's belongings, even for a second, they need to wash their hands after that... what strict hygiene standards!

-dakepaike-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

<
浮克拍客
Stiff
达客拍客
麦克拍客(a.k.a MTF)
异客拍客(a.k.a GCube)


We indulge in
泡妞
玩妞
干妞
喝酒


We Love
台妹
辣妹
日本妹
小妹




Fuckers-of=ALL_Realms

We Love All Sorts of Excitement, Join US