FUKEPAIKE: Excuse me, what are you studying? …Geography?!?!

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Excuse me, what are you studying? …Geography?!?!

Being in this job does not require me to chat with others but chatting is a good way to pass time. The topics are more or less the same when I talk to anyone.

“So what are you studying now?” people asked.

“Geography.” I replied.

“Geography??? What can you do? Become a teacher next time?”

90% of the people say this, with this unbelievable look on their faces. Not unbelievably impressed, but unbelievably skeptical and confused.

I have to explain to them the different sub-disciplines and career prospects of geography. As much as I wanted to defend that the major I chose is useful and employ-able, I know only the capable students are able to get those slightly higher paying positions in stat boards.

So what good does geography have? I myself am not too sure about it too. In terms of job opportunities, it can be rather limited. In terms of salary, it can be more limited.

Some people say you do not require any knowledge of what you study in university in your future workplace. It is the skill you are learning, not the knowledge. I am not too sure how true is this. Perhaps only those fields of studies that are really specialized would require you to utilize what you have learnt in class. Or perhaps only those that are really really good would get jobs that utilize the knowledge learnt in class.

I have no idea. I just know that it seems like people are still ‘looking down’ on people who study ‘study subjects’ but the sad thing is I do not have much to say in defense.

-dakepaike-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

<
浮克拍客
Stiff
达客拍客
麦克拍客(a.k.a MTF)
异客拍客(a.k.a GCube)


We indulge in
泡妞
玩妞
干妞
喝酒


We Love
台妹
辣妹
日本妹
小妹




Fuckers-of=ALL_Realms

We Love All Sorts of Excitement, Join US